Before You Get Started
Beware of Scholarship Scams
- This page serves as a comprehensive guide to Scholarship and College Financing Resources on the Web. However, it should be noted that there are a number of individuals and organizations that do not provide the services advertised. No attempt has been made to validate the legitimacy of the resources listed on this page. Therefore, to protect yourself, the following links on Scholarship Scams should be reviewed before you start your search.
So be aware, be careful, and good luck on your search! ~DLH
Top of Page
Your First Steps
Student Aid on the Web (U.S. Department of Education)
- The U.S. Department of Education provides over $60 billion in grants,
loans, and work-study for college or career school each year. Here
you'll find help for every stage of the financial aid process, whether
you're in school or out of school.
Student Guide - A comprehensive resource on student financial aid
from the U.S. Department of Education. Grants, loans, and work-study
are the three major forms of aid available through the Department's
Federal Student Aid office. Updated each award year, The Student Guide
tells you about the programs and how to apply for them.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Looking for Student Aid - Find out how to get free
information regarding federal and state student aid.
- The Financial Aid Information Page. Free, comprehensive, independent,
and objective guide to student financial aid. The site features links
and resources involving every aspect of the financial aid process. Also,
don't forget to check out
Maximizing Your Aid Eligibility.
FAFSA on the Web
- Free Application for Financial Student Aid. An interactive
web version of free application for federal student aid.
- A one-stop financial aid and career Internet site for college students,
college-bound students and their parents, and recent college graduates.
Search through over 1.3 million scholarships and setup a fastWEB mailbox
to receive the latest information on new scholarships.
- A free college scholarship search & financial aid resource.
College Board Online
- On-line resource guide for college-bound students and
families from the organization that oversees the SAT
standardized tests. The site includes, financial aid calculators,
a scholarship search engine, online college applications, SAT
information and more.
Top of Page
- A college financing resource that provides objective online information
for parents and students on financial aid, 529 plans, and other education
American School Search
- Guide to Colleges and Schools in the USA containing over 7,000 in the US
with scholarship package information, student body figures, financial
aid information, degree program listings, enrollment requirements, and
Black Excel: The College Help Network
- Black Excel is a college admissions and scholarship service for
- A free scholarship search engine connecting students and parents with
financial aid and college scholarships.
College Admissions (About.com)
- Extensive list of articles, links and resources on College Admissions
and Financial Aid.
College Answer (SallieMae)
- College Answer is the Internet's premier guide to college admissions
and financial aid. It offers advice and tools to expedite, simplify,
and optimize the admissions and financial aid processes. And don't
forget to check out the section on
Free Money for College.
College Athletic Recruiting
- An information and resource site for athletes who want to apply for college sports scholarships. Information and advice is free.
College Athletic Scholarships
- A Website offering student-athletes and their parents the information they need to land the chance to compete in college athletics, and possibly receive an athletic scholarship.
College Is Possible: American Council on Education
- Thinking about college? Whether you are a parent or a student, you probably have a lot of questions: How does the application process work? What sort of college is right for me? How much will college cost? You've come to the right place to begin finding answers. America's colleges and universities have prepared this site to guide you to the books, websites, and other resources that admissions and financial aid professionals consider most helpful. With planning, preparation -- and the right information -- college is possible for almost every American.
- A complete online guide to colleges, universities, graduate programs
and financial aid. Find the perfect college with the college search
engine, apply to that college online, then get the funds to pay for
college using the scholarship search service and directory.
College Scholarships, Colleges, and Online Degrees
- A site designed to offer college bound students, parents, and counselors
easy access to information on:
College Scholarships, Graduate Fellowships and Postdoctoral Awards
- Features over 10,200 College Catalogs in complete cover-to-cover
original page format including 2-year, 4-year, graduate, and
College Sports Scholarships
- A recruiting and resume service for high school athletes who want to
compete at college level in the USA. Initial help and advice is free.
- Free scholarship search site that allows students to search through
up-to-date information on thousands of scholarships. For select
scholarships, students can fill-out, save, and submit application
forms online. The site also provides a wealth of interactive tools
and content to help students navigate the financial aid and
- The Ultimate College Search Guide Online from CollegeView
Directory of Education
- A comprehensive directory of Schools, Colleges and Universities in
the United States, Canada and Worldwide.
Distance Learning Online Education Guide
- Helpful guides to distance learning, accreditation, college
admissions & test prep, financial aid & grant programs, online
college search, college planning, career forecasts, student
tips and resources.
- An online research tool to help you find the financial aid resources that
can help you pay for your college education.
- The e-Scholar website, linked from Office of Personnel Management's
USAJOBS website, contains hundreds of federal educational scholarships,
fellowships, grants, internships and cooperative programs.
- Information and tips on financial aid for college. Plenty of links
on college scholarships and other resources to help with the college
Financial Aid Made Easy on The Princeton Review
- Research schools, apply online, take practice tests, finance your education.
Financing Your Education (Education-Portal.com)
- A directory of articles and information on financial aid for students.
FreSch! The Free Scholarship Search Service
- Online database of thousands of sources of scholarships, searchable for free!
- A program designed to bring students together with colleges, universities,
graduate schools, and professional schools and help them identify the
scholarships and financial aid for which they may qualify.
- A central storehouse for information on over 1,000 grant programs.
Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)
- Index to all Historically Black Colleges and Universities located in
the United States of America, by Name.
Mapping Your Future
- Link to many other related sites.
National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)
- An association of colleges, universities, career schools, and
others with an interest in the effective administration of student
financial aid programs.
- Campus news, advice on writing application essays, and
engine for college searches.
The Princeton Review
- Help for students, parents and educators as they
navigate through the complexities of school admissions.
Scholarship Resource Network Express
- A search engine and database of private scholarships designed to assist
students identify sources for undergraduate through postgraduate study.
The contains information on more than 8,000 programs with a distribution
level of more than 150,000 awards worth a total of more than $35 million.
- Grant resources for children, teachers/educators, and schools K-12. schools.
Schools in the USA
- Free career and college prep resource which allows students to find the right college and to explore career paths. Sections in the site to visit include:
- Free scholarship database search, college and university search,
admissions and financial aid essay secrets, SAT and ACT strategies,
advice for parents, support forums, books, and more. The scholarship
database search engine includes more than 400,000 awards worth over
$1.1 billion for high school, college, and graduate students.
University Links: Student Aid
- Find Colleges and Universities all around the World
usnews.com: College Search
- U.S. News Online Colleges and Careers Center -
College rankings, advice from high school counselors,
and financial aid experts.
Top of Page
A Better Chance, Inc.
- A program to substantially increase the number of well-educated
minority youth capable of assuming positions of responsibility and
leadership in American society.
Black Student Fund (BSF)
- The Black Student Fund (BSF) provides financial assistance and support
services to Washington metropolitan area African-American students,
grades pre-kindergarten to 12.
- Philadelphia Futures prepares students from low-income families to
enter and succeed in college by providing mentoring, academic
enrichment, college guidance and financial incentives.
Prep for Prep
- A long-term investment strategy to develop the leadership potential
of able young people from segments of society grossly under-represented
in the leadership pool from which all of our major institutions draw.
Top of Page
Student Aid on the Web (International Students)
- Study in the United States is a serious undertaking. To decide if it
is the best option for you, consider carefully how it will fit into
your long-term educational and professional plans.
- Higher Education in the United States of America (USA) & Canada
- This site is designed to help those students who are considering
higher education in the United States of America and Canada but are
uncertain of the formalities involved to do so. It features links and
resources for international students interested in attending college
in the United States of America (USA) and Canada.
Top of Page
Minority Scholarship Programs
The American Indian College Fund
The Gates Millennium Scholars Program
The Hispanic College Fund (HCF)
The Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF)
The Jackie Robinson Foundation
The National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering, Inc. (NACME)
The Ron Brown Scholar Program
The Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
The United Negro College Fund (UNCF)
Top of Page
Saving for College with 529 Plans
Save for future college costs by using qualified state tuition programs (QSTPs) or 529 plans. 529 plans are state sponsored investment programs that are given special tax status.
College Savings Plans Network
- CSPN, an affiliate of the National Association of State Treasurers, serves as a clearinghouse for information among state college savings programs.
- Internet Guide to 529 Plans (Qualified State Tuition Programs)
Smartmoney.com: College Planning
- A complete guide for college financial planning.
TIAA-CREF: Saving for College
- Financial Keys for the Doors to Knowledge
Top of Page